Post Lot Text
OLMEC JADE SPOON
MIDDLE PRECLASSIC, CA. 1150-550 B.C.
The concave section incised with a Christian holy monogram IHS surmounted by a cross and within a circular cartouche; in mottled green stone, pierced twice for suspension.
From the family collection of Albin von Prybam-Gladola, 19th century.
The Prybam-Gladola were a celebrated Viennese family of diplomats closely involved in the intellectual and artistic life of Europe with friends such as Rilke, Johannes Brahms and Einstein.
This monogram, often associated with St. Bernard of Siena, was adopted by St. Ignatius of Loyola founder of the Jesuit order, in his seal as general in 1541. The initials maybe read Iesus Hominum Salvator (Jesus, Saviour of Mankind).
The first Jesuits landed in Veracruz in 1572, arriving in the city of Mexico on 28 September of that year under Pedro Sanchez.