Haddon Hall, the Tudor seat of the Dukes of Rutland was a popular subject for Cox. He first visited it in 1831 and executed a series of drawings in the 1830s, usually peopled by figures in period costume. However the present drawing belongs to a series executed in 1845, which concentrated on the building itself. Cox visited Haddon Hall in May 1845 in the company of William Ellis, a friend and patron who eventually owned over 300 of the artist's works.
For another view of Haddon Hall see lot 73.