In a private communication to the present owner (1 August 2001), Dr. Allan Ellenius confirms the attribution of this work to van Ehrenstrahl on the basis of a photograph and notes its affinities with allegorical works by the artist from the 1670s.
The son of a Hamburg tailor, David Klöckner studied under the animal painter Juriaen Jacobsz. in Amsterdam and later worked under Pietro da Cortona in Rome. In 1651, he became the resident painter to the Swedish General Carl Gustaf Wrangel, through whom he came into contact with the Swedish Court. He was ennobled in 1674 under the name Ehrenstrahl and remained in the Swedish royal service until his death.