Recorded by Smith, loc. cit., as having been acquired in 1830 by Peter, 5th Earl Cowper (1778-1837), Panshanger, Hertfordshire, and by descent to
Ethel, Lady Desborough (1867-1952), Panshanger, Hertfordshire, mother of the Hon. Lady Salmond (b. 1893), and by descent.
J. Smith, A Catalogue Raisonn, etc., III, London, 1831, p. 438, no. 669, 'The Interior of an oil-crushing Mill...an effective and very artist-like production'.
London, Royal Academy, Winter Exhibition, 1881, no. 96, lent by Earl Cowper, K.G.