The present lot which closely follows Gustav Klimt's masterpiece of 1908 is likely to have been executed prior to 1918. The materials employed are similar to those available from art suppliers circa 1910. It has been suggested that this is the work of an independent artist inspired by Klimt's original, first displayed at the Kunstschau of 1908 where it was purchased for the Austrian nation. The high esteem in which Klimt's painting was held is reflected in the execution of the present example as the artist does not attempt to slavishly copy the original. The artist's self-confidence is particularly apparent in the assertive brushstrokes.