Louis-Charles Desnos (1725-1791) was an engineer, living and working in Paris, of Danish origin according to Stevenson and French according to everyone else. He was, however, known to title himself "Ingénieur-géographe de la Ville de Paris et du Roi de Danemark" and "marchand libraire" although the reason for such an honour from the King of Denmark remains unrecorded.
What is certain is that Desnos was at the heart of mid eighteenth-century French globe-making; he is recorded as being a close friend of globe-maker Didier Robert de Vaugondy (1723-1786) and he came into globe-making in 1749 via marriage to one Marie-Charlotte Loye, the widow of Nicolas Hardy (before 1717-1744) who in 1738 had set up and run a globe-making workshop with his father Jacques (fl.1738-1745). Desnos also, naturally enough, gained possession of their copper plates.
The Hardy workshop already had a repertoire of globes of about 7, 11, 16 and 32cm. diameters and Desnos produced, in collaboration with engraver Jean-Baptiste Nolin the younger (1686-1762), globes of 16, 21.5, 26 and 32.5cm. diameter. None of the 1½in. diameter seen in this armillary appears to have been recorded. Desnos also published an Atlas Général et élémentaire in Paris in 1778, and in 1782 reissued Coronelli's 110cm. diameter celestial gores, together with a new set of celestial gores incorporating the work of Abbé Nicolas de la Caille (1713-1762) whose expedition to the Cape of Good Hope in 1751/52 resulted in his cataloguing of 9800 southern stars and 14 new constellations.
Many of Desnos globes bear a similar inscription on the brass meridian to the one found here giving the address of rue St Julien le Pauvre. This was the address of the Hardy workshop, but he appears to have moved to the address in rue St Jacques in about 1757, making the example here offered one of the first instruments issued from the new workshop.