The present statuette was first exhibited in 1932, by René Lalique in a private dining room at the XXII Salon de la Société des Artistes Décorateurs, in Paris. The design was never produced commercially. However, it was intended to be the centrepiece for the Bacchus Enfant table and is illustrated as such in F. Marcilhac, René Lalique: Catalogue Raisonné de l'Oeuvre de Verre, Paris, 1994, p. 396, fig. G and p. 888, no. 14.
Michel Lang was Chef de l'Atelier de Taille at Lalique's Combs-la-Ville glassworks until 1933 and he kept this piece on his desk. His son Michel Lang Jr also worked at Lalique from 1908 until 1974.