Northumberland House was built on the Strand, London, at the beginning of the 17th Century for the Earl of Northampton. The house became known as Northumberland House when it passed in to the family Algernon Percy, 10th Earl of Northumberland through his marriage to Lady Elizabeth Howard, whose father had inherited the house. In 1749 the Percy lion was placed on top of the Strand façade. The house was demolished in 1874 to make way for Northumberland Avenue.
This picture is based on Canaletto's view of 1752 in the collection of the Dukes of Northumberland (W.G. Constable, Canaletto, 1989, Oxford, vol. II, no. 419)