Although the sitter's identity is unknown, the detailed depiction of the paddle steamer St. Andrew on his portrait in this lot is strongly suggestive that he is either the vessel's owner or master. Built at Dumbarton, the wooden-hulled St. Andrew was registered at 83 tons and came into service in April 1826. Initially employed on the Belfast - Glasgow run, she was advertised as the only vessel on that route with "complete watertight bulkheads" and appears to have been widely regarded by the travelling public. After two years she was put to cruising out of Glasgow visiting beauty spots such as the Giant's Causeway, but in 1830 inaugurated the first steamer route between Whitehaven and Dublin, via Douglas, under Captain Banks. By the late 1830's she had been sold to Spanish owners who ran her between Liverpool and Barcelona until she disappears from record around 1845.