The iron steamer Sardinian, 4,349 tons, was built for the Allan Line by Robert Steele of Greenock and launched in June 1874. Completed the following year,m she measured 400 feet in length, with a 42 foot beam, and was originally rigged as a barquentine when she first entered service. Intended for Allan's Liverpool - Montreal service, she could carry 120 First and 850 Third class passengers and was a very profitable vessel until, in May 1878, following a serious fire attributed to a bunker explosion, she had to be scuttled at Moville (on the Ulster coast) in order to save her. Subsequently raised and repaired, she was re-engined in 1897 and thereafter sailed on various other Allan routes, always to Canada but her port of embarkation changing first to Glasgow and then to London. Along with the rest of the Allan Fleet, she passed into the ownership of Canadian Pacific in 1915 and soon afterwards began sailings from Avonmouth carrying cargo only. Sold in 1920 for use as a hulk at Vigo, she was eventually broken up at Bilbao in 1938.