Gigs were introduced around 1780 and were used by all echelons of society, particularly in the country. At first they were primarily used by commercial travellers, but by the early nineteenth century had become fashionable and were designed and built by the leading coach-builders.
The present works would seem to depict Stanhope gigs, originally designed by Tilbury, a leading coach-builder, in 1815 for the Hon. Fitzroy Stanhope as an improvement to the basic chair gig.
It is possible that the first picture, which bears an inscription on a mile post 'WARD[EN?]/XIIII' is supposed to show the route to 'Warden'. There is a Warden near Hexham in Northumberland, and another on the coast of the Isle of Sheppey. The second view may show an estate near one such Warden.
The present pictures are similar to the work of Edmund Gill (fl. first half of the 19th Century), who painted coaching pictures in a slightly naïve style.