The Newman & Guardia High Speed camera was introduced in 1899 and was listed up to 1911. The camera employed a secondary focal-plane shutter making it suited for capturing fast movement. Newman and Guardia occupied 92 Shaftesbury Avenue from October 1893 and 90 & 92 Shaftesbury Avenue from c.1902 until 1909. The firm was one of the best quality British camera manufacturers of the period.
'Shackleton had purchased nine still cameras of varying types -- including a stereoscopic model and one with a 'telephotographic apparatus' -- as well as a cinematographic camera. A number of the men also brought their own cameras, and at least nine of them took photographs using no fewer than fifteen cameras. Marshall, who was in charge of the cinematograph, later estimated that 4,000 feet of film were shot. Despite the introduction of roll-film cameras, a high proportion of serious photographers still used bulky, dry-plate cameras, and there were several of those on the expedition. There were also smaller, portable, roll-film cameras.
'Regardless of what camera was used, photography was not an easy process in Antarctica's freezing temperatures and long periods of darkness. Marshall found that when the temperature dropped to thirty degrees below freezing, cameras stopped functioning because the oil had frozen. He therefore made a point of removing the oil from all of them. The temperature similarly affected other stages of the process. Most of the developing and printing was carried out by Brocklehurst or Mawson, both of whom found glass plates easier to work with because film became brittle in extreme cold.' (B. Riffenburgh, op. cit., p.184)
Shackleton recorded that the southern party took 'One camera and three dozen plates (quarter-plate by Newman and Guardia)' amongst the scientific equipment on their four sledges.
MARSHALL'S PRESENT NEWMAN AND GUARDIA CAMERA, EXCLUSIVELY FOR QUARTER-PLATES, IS IN ALL LIKELIHOOD THE CAMERA TAKEN ON THE SOUTHERN JOURNEY IN 1908-09.