New Burlington Gallery, London
Given to the present owner as a wedding gift by Mrs Tekla Hess
Tekla Hess was a patron and friend of Erich Heckel. She and her husband, Alfred, lived in Erfurt near Weimar, where they befriended many of the German Expressionists and began their collection of modern art. After her husband's death in 1931 and before the second World War, she and her son Hans moved to England and settled in Leicester. The first important modern German works in Leicestershire's Museums came from the Hess family collection.