Built for Norddeutscher Lloyd by Fairfield's at Glasgow in 1887, Lahn was ordered at a time of great expansion for this German market-leader on the North Atlantic ferry. Registered at 5,099 tons gross, Lahn measured 448½ feet in length with a 49 foot beam and was designed as a single screw steamer capable of 18 knots. With accommodation for 224 First, 106 Second and 700 steerage passengers, she proved a useful addition to North German Lloyd's already extensive fleet and entered service on the Bremen - Southampton - New York run on 1st February 1888. After thirteen years, during which her masts were reduced to two in 1896, she was transferred onto the route from Genoa and Naples to New York where she stayed until sold to the Russian Navy in 1904. Renamed Russ and presumably employed as a receiving ship, she was scrapped in 1927.