An early study for the picture of Beata Michelina commissioned in 1606 by Alessandro Barignani for the church of San Francesco in Pesaro and now in the Pinacoteca Vaticana (A. Emiliani, Federico Barocci, Bologna, 1985, II, p. 368, illustrated). The hat and coat lightly sketched in the drawing also appear, albeit in a different position, in the painting. A reversed study for the same figure, this time clearly female, is in the Uffizi (A. Emiliani, op. cit., fig. 816).