The first owner of these works was Jean Carlu, editor of the literary review Cenpa. Carlu and Léger met in New York in 1940, where both had fled to escape the war. They became close friends, and when they returned to Paris, Carlu asked Léger to design the cover for an issue of his magazine Cenpa. Léger proposed several designs including the present ones. Carlu gave them as a present to Alain Weill, a curator at the Musée de l'Affiche in Paris.