Reference: Hibbard D2 (21).
The following article, by G. Archer Parfitt, appeared in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society (Volume 8, No. 3, September 1963):
'The Montgomeryshire I.Y. provided the 31st and 49th Companies which with the 29th (Denbighshire Hussars) and the 30th (Pembrokeshire) formed the 9th Battalion of Imperial Yeomanry from 1900 to 1901.
In 1901 the regiment raised the 88th and 89th Companies which served until 1902. Q.S.A. Medals were presented to five officers and forty N.C.Os and men from each of the 31st and 49th Companies by H.M. King Edward VII at Horse Guards Castle, Welshpool. The Lord Lieutenant presented Medals to those who had been unable to attend the King's parade, and later, on the same day the Countess of Powys at a ceremony in the Town Hall presented a bronze Medal to all 'who had so well upheld the honour of their County'.
From September 14, 1901 to May 7, 1902, the 88th and 89th Companies were detached from the 9th Battalion to form with the Bechuanaland Rifles and 4th Bedford Mounted Infantry, the 1st Divisional Scouting Corps. The original 31st and 49th Companies, having returned home, were disbanded at Ruabon on July 10, 1901, but at the Front in June 1901 the new 31 and 49 Companies were made up by drafts from the Elandsfontein Depot, and thus four Montgomeryshire Companies were in action. On June 5, 1902, the whole Battalion including the 88th and 89th, making a strength of six companies, came together at Klerksdorp and embarked on August 6 arriving at Southampton on the 27th to be disbanded at Aldershot on September 3, 1902. Queen's Medals were presented by General Viscount Kitchener at the second medal parade held at Powys Castle on September 6, 1902, and afterwards at the luncheon in the Town Hall bronze Medals were presented by Miss Williams Wynn. The Queen's Medals bore the clasps, Cape Colony, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902, and the inscriptions were in the following form - '34605 Tpr. W. Dearing, 89th Coy. Imp. Yeo.''