Formerly of the Richard Paine Collection
1914 PACKARD SERIES 3-48 (1148) FIVE PASSENGER PHAETON
Chassis No. 39441
Olive green with black fenders, belting, chassis and running gear and black tufted long grain leather interior and a black Panasote top
Engine: T-head, six cylinder, 525ci., 82bhp at 1,720prm; Gearbox: three-speed manual with reverse; Suspension: semi-elliptic front leaf springs with rear half-elliptic leaf springs and Hartford front and rear shock absorbers; Brakes: rear wheel mechanical drums. Left hand drive.
When Alvan Macauley joined the Packard Motor Car Company in 1910 it was unknown what effect this industrial newcomer might have on the relatively young motor car company. After helping restructure the American Arithmometer Company in St. Louis, Missouri, Macauley then helped the company develop further, moving the company and its workers to Detroit and renaming it the Burroughs Adding Machine Company. By 1910 Burroughs had become a striking success and held the majority share of the market. Only a few short months later Macauley accepted the position of General Manager at Packard and began a career that would last well into the late 1930s. By 1912 the company that had been largely successful with the production of four cylinder cars opted to move into the six cylinder market. They did so primarily with speed, agility, tact and elegance. Ironically, the Packard Six became the favored car of those on both sides of the law. It took a Packard Six just thirty seconds to reach 60 mph and the bad guys loved it. At this time the almost magical phrase that would stand by the Packard name and motor car for the ensuing decades through the evolution of automotive design was imparted to the press, when dependability is vital, when high speed is necessary, when a fast getaway is absolutely imperative, Ask The Man Who Owns One.
Packard continued mounting its successful campaign of six cylinder engine design for the 1913 model year. The 1913 cars retained their right hand drive configuration, but newly included a direct lubrication of the piston pin bearings that, from its overflow, lubricated the piston and cylinder walls. The 1913 Model 48 also switched from a gas light system to an electric headlamp system, though it retained the combination of oil and electric for the sidelamps. Additionally, the gas tank was moved from below the driver's seat to the rear of the car where it was mounted below the trunk rack. The battery and toolbox were also moved off the running boards to a position below the driver's seat. Packard also diversified its model line up that year and introduced the new 38 Series to complement and increase its impressive pre-existing line up. The 1-38 Series differed from other Packard cars that year as, unlike the 48 Series, it was a left hand drive car that utilized a self starter system in addition to hosting a 60 horsepower motor.
In 1914 Packard introduced the 1-38, 2-38, 3-38 and 4-48. The 1-38, 2-38 and 4-48 each utilized an L-head six that developed 60 horsepower. The 3-38 utilized a T-head six which reportedly developed a healthy 82bhp at 1,720rpm. Its parts were interchangeable with those of the T-head models of the 1913 cars. The 3-38 (1448) featured a rear mounted sliding gear transmission and was shaft drive through spiral bevel gears. It also had a combination self starter and generator by Delco. Body style choices were quite plentiful and included a total of 14 different options. More impressively Packard increased its color choices offering over 40 different paints configured in a plethora of attractive single and two-tone schemes. All wheelbases on the 3-38 Series (with the exclusion of the runabout, 121½ were uniform at 139 inches. The 1914 Packard 3-48 Series was indeed the highlight of the model year. Though only subtle visual changes were introduced on the cars, the variety of discrete mechanical upgrades and refinements meant that this high horsepower car was also the smoothest running of the 1914 cars. As the battle raged between Packard and Pierce-Arrow, the two marques elevated themselves to grand heights of automotive design. This 1914 Packard 3-38 (1448) Five Passenger Phaeton is a lovely explanation of how such a feat was accomplished.
This stunning example was purchased from the Paine Collection in the early 1990s in entirely original condition. From a limited number of photographs from that time, the car appeared to be in very complete and well preserved condition. It looks as though the car's bodywork, gauges, extensive brass fittings including the six cylinder radiator cap, folding windshield, radiator and head and sidelamps were all in rather excellent condition for an unrestored motor car of its period. It seems that Mr. Browning secured this 1914 Packard (as well as the 1930 Hispano-Suiza and the 1916 Winton in his collection) as part of a trade with the Paine Collection. After receiving the Packard, a full frame-off restoration with particular attention to correctness and detail was commissioned. Noted restorer and former General Manager for the William F. Harrah Collection, Mr. Clyde Wade, was selected for the arduous task. The results of Mr. Wade's restoration can be seen today on this absolutely stunning and impressive Series 3-48 Five Passenger Phaeton.
The 1914 Packard appears to have been originally finished in a moss green color with matching moss green fenders and yellow wheels. It is presently finished in a lovely olive green color with black moldings, belting, chassis and running gear. The wheels are finished in what appears to be the correct Packard light grey color with painted black hubs and bolts. The correct 37x5 inch tires are also fitted. Covered 37x5 inch dual side spares mounted on the driver's side sit atop the olive color matched cork topped running boards. The correct black painted Packard headlamps with Liberty lenses and sidelamps are fitted, as are dual horns for city and country driving, dual mirrors and a driver's side mounted spotlamp. Notably, a Michigan 1914 license plate numbered 47232 is also fitted. This example also features some lovely items such as the left and right rear turn signals and the artistic six cylinder radiator cap. The overall exterior condition is quite fabulous having only recently had its restoration completed in the early 1990s. Furthermore, the Packard has been meticulously maintained mechanically and cosmetically and is an impressive sight to behold in person.
The fully collapsible Phaeton top in black Panasote and the front and rear seats in tufted long grain black leather are in keeping with the visually and historically correct restoration. The olive green floorboards are covered in a heavy grey carpet. The doors are done in black leather and trimmed in color matched grey carpeting at their base, which would appear to be correct as well. With the sensible change to left hand drive, Packard also mounted the driver's controls as a unit on the steering column, which in this case was restored beautifully and completed with a red mahogany stained steering wheel. The Packard is fitted with a Joe W. Jones clock, 60mph speedometer and Weston ammeter. The Jones speedometer shows a mileage of just 4,909 which very well may be from new. The engine bay and big six cylinder motor, trimmed in red, are in excellent condition and are fully detailed. The correct Bosch dual magneto is fitted, as is the rare and difficult to find Packard carburetor. Overall, this 1914 Packard Series 3-48 is in lovely condition and has not only a fabulous restoration, but an execution of detail and attention to correctness that make this particular vintage example so much more desirable.