The present plates are from two different services, one of several painted with variations on the scale of the hexagonal mosaics and the decoration centered within each cell.
Decoration of this type, in production 1767-1786, is often associated with the name of Sartine. Lieutenant-General of Police, he acquired a service painted with his arms, large gilt dots centering the mosaic hexagons. The service does not appear in the factory records and it has been postulated that this may be because it was a gift of the factory to a benefactor. Another similar but with no arms, made for the comte d'Artois, does appear in the records as delivered 3 June 1775. The present plates from the service purchased at Sèvres 1 October 1769 by Lord Harcourt and described in the sales records as petites Rozes.