THE PROPERTY OF A LADY
DECORATIONS BESTOWED UPON BARON LOUIS-FRANÇOIS LEJEUNE
Baron Louis-François Lejeune (1775-1848), born at Strasbourg, volunteered for service in the 'Compagnie des Arts de Paris' 1792; served in the 1er Batallion de l'Arsenal, and the next year was attached to the Artillery at La Fère; present at the sieges of Landrecies, Quesnoy, and Valenciennes where he served as A.D.C. to General Jacob; promoted to Lieutenant and served in Holland 1794-95; Passed his exams with distinction 1798 and as Temporary Captain served as A.D.C. to General Berthier, Minister of War; Present at the Battles of Morengo, 1800 (Captain), and Austerlitz, 1805 (Brigadier), the Siege of Saragossa (Colonel), and the Battle of Moscow, 1812 (General); during the Retreat from Moscow and the campaign in Saxony was promoted Major General in command of the 1st Army Corps; was present at the Battle of Lutzen, the passage of the Sprée, the actions at Bautzen, and at Hoyerswerda and distinguished himself at the Passage of the Ourthe, the taking of Lintz, and the siege of Kolberg.
After the Battle of Essling it was Baron Lejeune acting once more as A.D.C. to Marshal Berthier, who secured a boat on which Napoleon escaped to the Isle of Lobau. Recommissioned as a Major under the Restoration he transferred to the reserve list as a Major General under Louis-Philippe and retired to Toulouse.
Baron Lejeune was an accomplished draughtsman and painter. The Emperor himself purchased his painting of The Battle of Marengo in 1802, and the next year he was awarded the "Grand Medalille d'Or". He served as President of the Academy of Arts at Toulouse, and continued to paint until his death in 1848.
The last four lots in this group were bestowed upon Baron Lejeune's son, who served as French Representative at the Court of Persia.