Although unnamed in this portrait, the vessel has been identified as the Duisburg from the carefully painted Marryat Flag Code hoist [3rd d.p., 1,8,6,4] at her mizzen masthead. Built in 1856 by J. Lange on the Weser at Vegesack, Germany, she carried a full ship rig and was owned by A. Bvniger of Geestemunde. Originally registered [in Geestemunde] at 1,052 tons gross and measuring 185 feet in length with a 37 foot beam, she was sold to Norwegian owners in 1887 who re-registered her in Christiania and re-rigged her as a barque. Still under Norwegian colours but with a new owner, she survived until 11th November 1899 when she was wrecked on Oxwich Point on the Gower Peninsular of South Wales. En route from Nova Scotia with timber bound for the Mumbles, she had almost made it to her destination after a 60-day North Atlantic crossing during which her crew fought a constant battle to keep her afloat due to a serious leak which had developed early on in the voyage; despite their valiant efforts, bad weather drove her ashore within sight of the shelter of Mumbles Bay although there were no casualties.
Although this particular work has only recently come to light and is unrecorded in Davidson & Tibbles' pioneering monograph which named this hitherto unidentified Liverpool artist, it can now be attributed with certainty to Francis Hustwick. For further information, see A.S. Davidson & Anthony Tibbles' Marine Art & Liverpool - A Postscript - Fifty Ship Paintings by Francis Hustwick, Jones-Sands Publishing, 1999.