The Kings Plate at Newmarket on May 4, 1797 was won by Mr. Bott's brown horse Totteridge by Dungannon with Mr Delmè's Gabriel by Dorimont in second place. The race is on the Round Course on the far side of the Devil's Ditch from the town at Newmarket. The building in the distance near Totteridge's head is the house in Upper Hare Park which often appears in pictures by Stubbs and Seymour. The one on the right is the Rubbing house, known as Four Mile Stables, at the start of the Beacon but Sartorius has moved it a furlong or so away from Hare Park for artistic effect. Delmè's colors were Blue with Pink seams and Bott's are not recorded. The former was a great friend of the Prince of Wales and managed his horses for many years. Indeed they often ran in his name but this would unlikely in this race as the Prince had retired from Newmarket after a row in 1792 only restarting after 1800.