H.M.S. Marlborough, 25,000 tons was laid down at Devonport in January 1912 and completed in June 1914. Heavily armed and capable of steaming at over 20 knots, she and her sister of the "Iron Duke" class were the last coal-burning battleships built for the Royal Navy and, when scrapped, brought to an end the old "stoking" era begun by H.M.S. Warrior in 1860. Marlborough entered the Grand Fleet as 2nd Flagship and was in action at Jutland where she was torpedoed. Repaired on the Tyne, she quickly returned to active service but even after a major refit in 1920-22, she fell victim to the general disarmament malaise and was eventually sold for breaking in 1932.
H.M.S. Resolution was one of the "Revenge" class battleships ordered in 1913 and completed in December 1916. Displacing 27,500 tons, she was 580 feet in length and formidably armed with 8 15-in. guns. Entering service after Jutland and therefore seeing little action in the Great War, she was however heavily engaged throughout the Second World War, including operations at Narvick, off West Africa and in the Indian Ocean. Despite being both bombed and torpedoed, she survived the War only to find her usefulness at an end and she was sold for breaking in 1948.