Frans de Momper was born and trained in Antwerp before he left for the northern Netherlands, only to return again to live his last ten years in Antwerp. The artist's paintings present a combination of the Flemish tradition of imaginary landscapes by, for instance, his uncle Joss de Momper II with the monochrome paintings of artists like Jan van Goyen.
The present lot could be dated to the early years of Frans de Momper's career. The brand on the reverse of the panel of the castle of Antwerp is very similar to the castle brand on another painting attributed to Frans de Momper in the Musèe de Beaux-Arts, Lille (see J.Wadum, 'The Antwerp Brand on Paintings on Panel', Leids Kunsthistorisch Jaarboek, 1998, p. 186, fig. 9). In his article Mr. Wadum notes that this particular design of the Antwerp brand was in use between 1619 and 1638, thus serving in the case of the present composition as a careful terminus post quem and terminus ante quem. De Momper became a master in the Antwerp Guild of Saint Luke in 1629, and it is likely that he painted the picture after this year, between 1629 and 1638.