The Castle of Sully was built as a fortified castle by Gauthier de Sully in the early 16th Century. In 1515 he sold it to Gaspard de Saulx-Tavannes, who asked the architect Nicolas Ribonnier to add three wings in the Renaissance style to the medieval castle. His heirs added a fourth wing in 1616, which closed the courtyard, and the castle took on the appearance it has in the present drawings.
Sully remained in the Saulx-Tavannes family till 1714 when it was sold to Jean-Baptiste Morey de Viange. Morey was forty years older than his wife and to cure his numerous illnesses summoned a young impoverished Irish doctor called Jean-Baptiste de Mac-Mahon. Soon Morey died and the young widow married the doctor. The Maréchal de Mac-Mahon, French President from 1873 to 1879, was a descendant of this doctor, and was born in Sully in 1808.
The façade of the castle was transformed in a Neo-Renaissance style during the 19th Century. The gardens were also re-designed at the same time.