FROM THE CARSON-PETTIT COLLECTION
In 1956, James T. Carson and Horace Pettit, Jr., two car enthusiasts, founded an important car dealership, Carson-Pettit, Inc., in Philadelphia's Main Line. From time to time, whenever a particularly fine example of a significant model car was traded in, it would be retained instead of resold. Not surprisingly, a majority of these cars were Mercedes-Benz', many of which had been sold new and serviced by Carson-Pettit.
1960 MERCEDES-BENZ 220SE COUPE
Serial No. W128-030-10-00254
Black with red leather interior.
Engine: six cylinder single overhead cam, 2,195cc, 134bhp at 5,000rpm; Gearbox: four speed manual; Suspension: front independent, rear single joint swing axle, coil springs; Brakes: servo assisted drum. Left hand drive.
The 220S Mercedes-Benz was introduced at the Frankfurt Auto Show in April 1956 and was the first model from this famous manufacturer to have a unitary construction bodyshell. It succeeded the 220 model of 1951 with its traditional tubular chassis frame and it shared some of its mechanical specification. After two years of production, a Bosch fuel-injection system was added to the basic 220S engine creating the 220SE. This not only added 15hp, but also increased engine reliability and thus value. The range was marketed as a comfortable family car yet with the performance of a lively sports model. In July 1959 the production of the saloon ended but the coupe and cabriolet models continued until October the same year.
This one owner automobile (excepting Carson-Pettit) was traded in 1969 on a new 1970 250C Coupe. The former owner, Dorothea Fleer Laurens, Fleer Bubble Gum Co. heiress, was an avid car enthusiast who got great enjoyment from naming her cars after famous people. This car was named for Dr. Emil Jellnick, father of Mercedes Jellnick, after whom Mercedes cars were originally named. Since 1969, "Emil" has been used only for special events such as weddings and car shows. The current and recorded mileage on the car, as of March 1997 was 35,110 miles.
Within the past five years, the wood trim has been refinished by Wood Excel and new Wilton carpeting, and a new head liner have been installed. The original black paint which had begun to deteriorate was completely stripped off and the car refinished with modern and much more durable polyurethane enamel. The original red leather upholstery is retained and is in exceptionally fine and serviceable condition. No effort has been made to restore the trunk or engine compartment. Four new wide whitewall tires were installed in 1996. The spare is original and shows some wear. A stainless steel exhaust system is fitted. The origianl Becker Europa MV (tube type) radio and the clock need attention. The original owner's service manual, service book and parts manual are retained with the car. Routine maintenance and any needed repair such as shock absorbers, suspension and gearshift bushings, etc., have been performed as required during the 27 year period of Carson-Pettit ownership. The car retains the solid feel of a low mileage Mercedes . We are told that it has never been driven in ice or snow and seldom even in the rain.
This is a rare opportunity to obtain an exceptionally handsome low production model, with low mileage, that has not been over-restored and which retains a factory original appearance.