No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
THE BUCCLEUCH GRAHAM
This magnificent seat stands on a knoll in view of the confluence, at about half a mile distant of the rivers North Esk and South Esk, each of which gives a title to a Nobleman in Scotland.
In ancient times there was a castle in its place, the residence of the Morton family. The park of about 800 acres has mainly oak trees and is surrounded by an estate wall. The estate has been held by the Dukes of Buccleuch since the year 1642.
James, Duke of Monmouth was the illegitimate son of Charles II, by Lucy, daughter of Richard Walters Esq of Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. Monmouth married Anne, Countess of Buccleuch in 1683. They assumed the family name of Scott and were created The Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch, Earl and Countess of Dalkeith and Baron and Baroness of Whitchester and Eskdale.
Their son, James Scott, Earl of Dalkeith, married Henrietta, second daughter of Laurence Hyde, Earl of Rochester.
Their son, Francis Scott, second Duke of Buccleuch obtained the restoration of the Earldom of Doncaster and Barony of Scott of Tyndale (held by his grandfather the Duke of Monmouth) and married Lady Jane Douglas, eldest daughter of James, second Duke of Queensberry .
The second Duke died on 22 April, 1751 and was succeeded by his grandson Henry Scott, 3rd Duke of Buccleuch.
Not withstanding the possibility that the present clock could have been inherited by marriage, it seems likely that it was originally bought for Dalkeith by Henry Scott, 3rd Duke of Buccleuch.