The full-rigged Chieftain, 325 tons, was built at Montreal in 1826. By 1841, she was owned by A. & J. Smith of Belfast who traded her out of Liverpool to Quebec and the U.S.A.
Portrayed in starboard profile, the ship is sailing close-hauled with the outline of the Great Orme visible under the bowsprit. Identification comes from the name at the bow, and is confirmed in the lower marginal inscription and the Marryat Code hoist 1st distinguishing pendant at the foremast, and the flags 7,5,1, at the mainmast.