The stags in the present compositions have been shot by Ludwig VIII (ruled 1739-1768), Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt, between 1742 and 1750. The Landgrave shot most of the stags in the Battenberger Forest, where he owned a number of hunting lodges. Each canvas also depicts one of these hunting lodges, such as Kranichstein which today is a hunting museum.
The artists Johann Georg Stockmar (died 1759), court-painter in Darmstadt and G.A. Eger (1727-1808), court-painter for Ludwig VIII, were active as painters of wild animals and hunting szenes and it is one of them that could be responsible for the present paintings.
All canvases are inscribed, on reverse, with the exact locations of the shootings and further information is given, such as the stag's weight and weight of their antlers.