The broad street leading across the Schloss Brücke depicted in the present work is the Unter den Linden in Berlin, the elegant boulevard planned by the Great Elector, Friedrich Wilhelm, in 1647. To the left of the Unter den Linden is the yellow Kommandantur palace, the office and residence of the Kommandant of Berlin from 1799. The impressive building on the right is the Zeughaus, Berlin's largest baroque building and one of Germany's finest. The building now houses the Deutsches Historisches Museum.
The painting was most likely executed between 1824, when the construction of the Schloss Bruke was begun and 1842, when a number of sculptures, not apparent here, were added.