GHAZALI, Mohammed (1058-1111). Anonymous short commentary on his Intentions of the Philosophers (with other texts). MANUSCRIPT ON PAPER AND VELLUM
[Byzantium], 28 Tammuz 5189 (= 1429)
4o. Measurements of fol. 75v: 203 x 133 mm; text space: 149 x 86 mm; upper margin: 17 mm, lower margin: 37 mm, inner margin: 20 mm, outer margin: 27 mm. 30 lines; ten lines: 47 mm. On watermarked paper and parchment with distinguishable hair and flesh sides; only the outer sheets of quires 1-4 and 6 are of parchment. 334 leaves: 1-48 54 610 7-88 96 (+ 1 before 1) 106 (+ 1 after 6) 11-198 206 (+ 1 before 1) 21-2212 2310 (+ 1 before 1) 2410 (+ 1 after 10) 25-3412 3512 (+ 1 before 1). Dark brown ink. Two Byzantine semi-cursive hands, fols. 37-334 copied by a scribe who completed his copy on 28 Tammuz 5189 (= 1429), fols. 1-36 by another hand. Signatures, consisting of Hebrew letters at the beginning of a quire, with a separate series for the first section, and single catchwords at the end of most leaves (often with the exception of the middle of the quire) were used to assure the right order of the leaves. Blind ruling, very hard to discern, but most probably applied to the versos of the leaves. Filling the line was achieved by dilation of letters, or by anticipation of the next word, at times with a special graphic sign, and the inclusion of graphic fillers; protruding lines occur, the protruding single letter usually written above the line (or between the lines). (Somewhat brittle, many leaves with frayed edges and old paper strengthenings now coming off, dampstained and thumbed, fol. 334 torn with loss of some text, other minor tears and holes, often with old repairs and loss of some text.) Modern blind and gold-tooled black morocco, two modern paper flyleaves at back and front, old sprinkled edges.
Fol. 1r: blank.
I. Fols. 1v-26r: Anonymous short commentary on Mohammed Ghazali's Intentions of the Philosophers. The text used by the commentator is the same anonymous translation used by Narboni. The only other recorded copy of this commentary is an incomplete text found in the Institute of Oriental Studies of the St. Petersburg branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, MS B 386, fols. 147-181.
II. Fols. 26v-31r: Joseph ibn Kaspi's ethical treatise, Sefer ha-Musar. First published by E. Ashkenazi in his Ta'am Zekenim (1854) and several times since, including an edition with an English translation by I. Abrahams, Hebrew Ethical Wills 1 (Philadelphia 1926) p. 127-161.
Fols. 31v-32v: blank.
III. Fols. 33r-36r: extracts from Solomon ibn Yai'sh's supercommentary on Abraham ibn Ezra's commentary on Genesis.
Fols. 36v-38r: blank.
IV. Fols. 38v-154v: Anonymous commentary on parts of Averroes' Middle Commentary on Aristotle's Organon (Analytica priora, Categories and De interpretatione). Apparently a unique manuscript. Cf. M. Steinschneider, Die hebrischen bersetzungen des Mittelalters und die Juden als Dolmetscher (Berlin 1893) p. 89.
Fols. 155r-156r: blank.
V. Fols. 156v-334v: Commentary on Moses ben Maimon's Moreh Nevukhim (Guide to the Perplexed), by Moses ben Solomon of Salerno. There are about ten extant copies of this unpublished commentary, but only one dated manuscript is earlier than this one (MS Parma 3162, dated 1425).
Fol. 334v: colophon.
It is probable that the first section did not belong to the original manuscript. The Hebrew Paleography Project considered it a separate codicological entity and excluded it. On account of the almost identical nature of the watermarks in the two codicological entities (also registered by the Hebrew Paleography Project) a close relationship between the two sections is still very probable. The first section is without doubt contemporary to the signed section and the scribe of this section even tried to achieve a graphic resemblance between his and the next entity (as already noted in the Hebrew Paleography Project). Furthermore, he is probably one (out of three) of the marginal annotators of the second section.
REFERENCES: Neubauer, no. 40, p. 15-16; Hebrew Paleography Project, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, no. C 570; Institute of Microfilmed Hebrew Manuscripts, Jerusalem, F 4708.