This drawing is part of a large series of compositions depicting New Testament scenes, drawn, according to James Byam Shaw, after Giandomenico's return from Spain in 1770. The album probably originally contained about three hundred sheets, and was divided into two parts in the early 19th Century: 138 drawings were acquired by Monsieur Fayet in Venice in 1833, and were given to the Louvre in 1889, and 176 were bought by Monsieur Luzarches from Tours. The Luzarches group, from which this drawing probably comes, was then divided. The largest part, 82 sheets, was in the Cormier Collection in Tours and sold in Paris, 30 April 1921. Seventeen drawings were in the Jean Gigoux Collection, partly kept in Besançon and partly sold in Paris on 20 March 1882; and ten others were sold in Paris, 21 November 2001, lots 60-69. Other sheets were sold at Christie's New York, 9 January 1991, lot 26; 30 January 1997, lot 83, and Christie's London, 6 July 1993, lot 93a; 7 July 1998, lot 150.
A group of Biblical drawings were exhibited in Udine (A.M. Gealt and G. Knox, Giandomenico Tiepolo, exhib. cat., Castello di Udine and elsewhere, nos. 88-112; others illustrated pp. 78-87).