This is related to a painting of 1634 now in the Musée Granet in Aix-en-Provence, L. Salerno, Dipinti del Guercino, Rome, 1988, no. 152. The picture is recorded in Guercino's Libro dei Conti on 5 January 1634 and on 18 August 1634, B. Ghelfi, Il libro dei conti del Guercino, 1629-1666, Venice, 1997, pp. 72-3 and 75. The first entry concerns the commission for a 'Tavola di Santa Teresia per il Sigr. Lumaga di lione di Francia da cordo in ducatni 400'. On 18 August payment was registered, and the picture was probably finished. The picture was then sent to Barthélémy Lumagne in Lyon, who hung it in his family chapel in the church of the Carmelites. It was transfered to Paris during the French Revolution and then sent to Aix-en-Provence in 1821.
Drawings related to this composition are at Windsor Castle (D. Mahon and N. Turner, op. cit., nos. 78-82), in the Seattle Art Museum, Washington (D.M. Stone, op. cit., no. 31), in the British Museum, London, in the Teyler Museum, Haarlem, in Cento and in Angers.