Giulio Morina studied in Bologna with Lorenzo Sabatini, who died in 1577, and is first documented in 1587-90 when he worked for the Church of S. Francesco in Bologna. Morina painted numerous altarpieces in his native town, for the Churches of S. Maria dei Servi, S. Paolo, S. Pietro, and Corpus Domini. Further paintings are in the Pinacoteca Nazionale in Bologna (D. Ferriani, 'Giulio Morina', Pittura bolognese del '500, Bologna, 1986, pp. 791-802).
The figure types and composition are close to others in Morina's output of paintings and drawings. The foreground repoussoir figure appears in a number of his pictures, for example the Presentation of the Virgin in S. Maria dei Servi or the Vision of Saint Catherine in the Pinacoteca Nazionale in Bologna.
Drawings by Morina are in Budapest (signed, A. Czére, Disegni di artisti bolognese nel Museo delle belle arti di Budapest, Budapest, 1989, no. 3), in Bologna (A. Zacchi, Figure, exhib. cat., Bologna, Pinacoteca Nazionale, 1998, no. 23), exhibited at the Courtauld Institute (Drawing in Bologna, London, 1992, no. 36) and formerly with Marcello Aldega and Margot Gordon (Bolognese drawings, XVI-XIX Centuries, New York, 2001, no. 8).
The drawing might be a design for the left side of an organ shutter.