21 March 2005
GOLDSCHMIDT, Ernst Philip (1887-1954). Seventy-five books from a library formed by E. Ph. Goldschmidt of Trinity College, Cambridge 1905-1909. Cambridge: privately printed at the University Press for the collector, .
4o (236 x 182 mm). LIMITED EDITION OF 50 COPIES. Original buff paper wrappers, the author's bookplate reproduced on front cover, (soiled, front wrapper almost detached). Provenance: Wilfred Schmiechen (d. 1957), inscribed to him by Goldschmidt, no doubt at the time of publication.
PRESENTATION COPY, inscribed on flyleaf: "To Wilfred Schmiechen from Ernst Ph. Goldschmidt." The catalogue of Goldschmidt's first collection, compiled by himself as a Cambridge undergraduate and privately distributed to his friends, such as Keynes, Gaselee and Schmiechen. The latter changed his name in the anti-German atmosphere of the Great War to Wilfred Merton and later became the owner of Emery Walker plate-makers. After World War II, Bernard Breslauer counted him among his best clients and friends, and he sold his splendid collection of illuminated manuscripts and antiquarian printed books on consignment for his widow. Goldschmidt would go on to travel widely in Europe and make an important contribution to the Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, to form a major collection of historical bookbindings, which he described in a classic two-volume monograph, and to become the most learned bookseller of the first half of the 20th century.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
From Fort Worth to the French Riviera, 5 grand properties lavishly equipped for festive gatherings of friends and family
The story behind a double portrait from the Barney A. Ebsworth Collection that’s being offered in London in March