GRADUALE -- Juxta Missale Graduale Romanum, ex Decreto Sacro Sancti Concilii Tridentini... Edita nova prioribus longe elegantior. Lyons: Amadée Delaroche, 1763
2° (495 x 307mm). Printed in red and black throughout, title with woodcut vignette, woodcut historiated initials with staves in red, music and text in black on four-line staves in red, woodcut head- and tailpieces. (A few leaves lightly browned, occasional light marginal spotting.)
Psalterium Romanum Juxta Breviarium Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae, ex Sacro-Sancti Concilii Tridentini. Paris: Auguste-Martin Lottin, 1776.
2° (490 x 303mm). Title with woodcut device, musical notation, printed in red and black throughout, two woodcut historiated initials. (Occasional light browning, neat marginal worming to several leaves at end, final leaves lightly dampstained.)
BINDINGS: uniformly bound in Parisian gold-tooled red morocco gilt, the covers with roll-tooled borders enclosing a very fine broad and complex dentelle composed of fleuron, star, volute, rosette, flower and pine cone, butterfly, lute and flowering urn tools, the corners set with medallions enclosing musical devices, both covers with central crowned foliate 'A', spine in seven compartments, olive lettering piece in the second, the rest similarly tooled with flowering urns, marbled paper endpapers, roll-tooled turn-ins, gilt edges (occasional slight rubbing to extremities, first work with minor crack at foot of spine, small wormhole at joint, small restoration to one corner; second work with two small stains to covers and small loss of gilt). Reflets de la Bibliophilie en Belgique IV. Exposition à la Bibliothèque royale Albert 1er, 22 Septembre - 27 Octobre, 1979, Brussels, 1979, no.48.
PROVENANCE: Henry, 8th Earl of Arundell (monogram), Wardour Castle Chapel, Wiltshire.
The bindings were commissioned by Lord Arundell (1740-1808) from a Parisian atelier for the inauguration of the new family chapel at Wardour Castle in Wiltshire, on 1 November 1776. The Chapel was the first Catholic place of worship to be built in England following the Reformation. This pair of dentelle bindings is of the very highest artistic quality, from an unidentified atelier that is in every way the equal of Derome's. FINE, VERY BRIGHT CONDITION. (2)