Charles Stirling (1771-1830) was the fourth son of William Stirling of Keir (1725-1793). He managed the firm of Somerville, Gordon & Co., Glaswegian merchants trading with the West Indies. In 1806, he bought property at Kenmure, which in 1816 he sold for £40,000 to his brother Archibald. During the alterations to Keir, he was an important adviser to his brother James. An Italian tour in 1824-25 gave him the opportunity to assemble a fine collection of paintings, presaging the collection of his nephew, Sir William Stirling-Maxwell, 9th Bt.