Haas & Cie. was founded by Leopold and Benjamin Haas in 1848 and manufactured from the beginning small series of gold or platinum watches featuring the classical complications such as perpetual calendars, quarter repeaters, chronographs and split-second chronographs.
Over the years, new family members joined the company and consequently it was renamed to Haas Neveux & Cie. in 1884. In the same year, Haas launched a highly innovative pocket watch whose movement was wound by opening and closing of the cover. This mechanism was further developed and patented and presented at the 1893 Chicago World Exhibition.
A further asset of this watch is its movement, stamped twice with the Geneva seal. This hallmark certifies that it conforms to the highest official standard of traditional Geneva watch making and consequently stands for workmanship of outstanding quality.
It was introduced by the State of Geneva in 1886 in order to provide a guarantee of the origin and the craftsmanship of clocks and watches made in Geneva. The criteria includes 12 technical absolute requirements related to the manufacturing of the movement. Only manual and self-winding mechanical movements can be awarded the Geneva Seal.