HAVERS, Clopton (ca. 1655-1702). Osteologia nova, or some new observations of the bones, and the parts belonging to them, with the manner of their accretion, and nutrition. London: for Samuel Smith, 1691.
8o (182 x 112 mm). Two engraved plates, one folding, with the imprimatur leaf A1 and advertisement leaf U4. (Occasional light foxing, a few leaves discolored.) Contemporary English red morocco, covers with double gilt panel, the outer panel with vase tools at corners and arabesque tooling at the center of each side, spine gilt, gilt edges, manuscript title on lower edges (trifling wear to extremities); half morocco folding case. Provenance: Possibly authorial manuscript corrections on D3r, E2v and Q5r, each crossing out and replacing a word; bound for the dedicatee Thomas Herbert, eighth Earl of Pembroke (1656-1733) (printed Wilton House shelf label at foot of spine).
FIRST EDITION, THE DEDICATION COPY, of the first complete and systematic study of the structure of bones. The text, a transcription of five lectures delivered to the Royal Society in 1689 and 1690, contains the first full description of the microscopic structure of the bone lamellae and canals for the passage of blood, named thenceforth the Haversian canals. Havers also contributed important observations on bone physiology and the process of bone growth, correcting Glisson's theory that bones grow on their harder side when they develop unevenly in rickets. His book, of which a Latin translation was published the following year, was immediately useful and received great praise. It remained the only detailed treatise on bone until the publication of Robert Nesbitt's lectures in 1763, and was only superseded in the 19th century.
Garrison-Morton 387; NLM/Krivatsy 5363; Wellcome III, p.225; Wing H-1162; Norman 1024.