With the First World war looming and the demand for her paintings falling, it was to Wiltshire that Helen Allingham made her last painting expedition. In May 1912 she stayed with the Codringtons in the village of Wroughton, where some of the thatched buildings became the subjects of watercolours.
This cottage, known as The Forge, was situated at the bottom of Wroughton high street and home to Richard Tarrant and his family, from 1880. Tarrant was a blacksmith and his yard and forge were situated on the left side of the cottage. The Forge passed into the hands of his daughter who lived there until it was demolished in the late 1960s.
We are grateful to Annabel Watts for her help in preparing this catalogue entry.
For other works by Helen Allingham see lots 19 and 179.