We are grateful to Mr. Jeremy Howarth, who on the basis of photographs and detailed enlargements of the signature, believes the present picture to be by either Hendrick van Steenwyck the Elder or Younger. Although there is no documentary evidence that either artist went to Prague, Steenwyck the Elder's mentors - Hans and Paul Vredeman de V ries - were there in the 1590s and it seems likely that both Steenwycks were also active there for a short time at the end of that decade. Another similar view of the hall, but with an entirely different arrangement of the figures and activities with it, is in the Martin von Wagner University Museum in Würzburg (reproduced in W. Martin, 'The Life of a Dutch Artist', in Burlington Magazine, September 1907, LIV, p. 362, fig. 4).
The old Prague castle, once seat of the Bohemian princes, regained its importance at the end of the 15th Century under the reign of Vladislav Jagiello. He renovated the castle and commissioned court architect Benedict Ried to construct the Vladislav Hall. This huge festive hall in a style with both Gothic and Renaissance elements, was situated in the centre of the building. It was used as a throne room, for banquets, councils, coronation feasts and with bad weather tournaments of chivalry were held.