Pierre Celice has confirmed the authenticity of this painting.
Hayden was born in Warsaw, the son of a wealthy merchant, and studied engineering before entering the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts in 1905. He arrived in Paris in 1907, and moved into a studio in Montparnasse in 1914, where the present work was likely painted. It shows the artist moving beyond a Cézannesque manner to a sculptural and volumetric form of Cubism, which still retains an illusionistic sense of depth. Hayden met Juan Gris in 1915, who in turn introduced him to Léonce Rosenberg, the director of the Galerie de l'Effort Moderne. The German dealer Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler had been forced into Swiss exile during the First World War, and his inventory sequestered, and in his place Rosenberg became the leading promoter of Cubism in wartime Paris. Rosenberg signed Hayden to a contract, and at his gallery the painter met Jacques Lipchitz, André Lhote, Jean Metzinger, Gino Severini and Pablo Picasso. During this time his approach to Cubism moved into step with the prevailing synthetic mode practiced by Rosenberg's artists, and he exhibited at the Salon des Indépendants. He turned to a more conventional, naturalistic style after 1921.