Matisse had been living in a rented apartment at 1, place Charles-Félix in Nice since the fall of 1921. It had two rooms he used as studios but was otherwise quite small. At the end of 1926 he moved to the top floor and took over two apartments, which gave him additional studio and living space. The central feature was a large triple-window (seen above) with a southern exposure and overlooking the Promenade des Anglais and the Baie des Anges. Matisse used this light, airy room as his primary studio.
A photo-certificate from Wanda de Guébriant dated Paris, November 25, 1988 accompanies this drawing, which is recorded as no. AB39 in the Henri Matisse archives.