The clipper ship Glory of the Seas was built by Donald McKay at his East Boston shipyard in October of 1869. On her maiden voyage she arrived in San Francisco under the command of Capt. John N. Geit with Mr. Donald McKay on board. While in San Francisco Mr McKay sold her to J. Henry Sears & Co. and she was taken back east by Capt. William Chatfield.
Glory of the Seas had principal dimensions of LOA: 240'-2", Beam: 44'-1", Draft: 28'-0" and a displacement of 2,009 tons. She was a very sturdy ship as evidenced by her long career. While she was know as a clipper ship she was actually a fast packet because of her full lines. She was a good looking ship with an elliptical stern and a figurehead of a classical lady with long flowing gowns. She was the last ship built by Mr. McKay who was known as the builder of the Flying Cloud and other celebrated clipper ships. The Glory of the Seas was consistently on of the fastest ships making record passages from New York to San Francisco and from San Francisco to Australia.
After the turn of the century the Glory of the Seas was owned by the Seattle Shipping Co. And by Barneson & Hibard. She was later sold to parties in Victoria, British Columbia to be used to transport lumber and then was sold to satisfy creditors. She was then converted into a floating salmon cannery, and was towed from place to place packing fish. The Glory of the Seas met her demise by fire while at berth in Puget sound in May of 1923