Herbert George Ponting (1871-1935)
An album containing 56 silver gelatin contact prints by Ponting (46?) and others (10?), [1910-1913], 2 (37.5 x 31cm.).25 grey card leaves, mounted recto only with prints, 5 x 7in. (12.7 x 17.8cm.) and smaller, most with typed title on mounted slip beneath, FIVE OF THE IMAGES SIGNED BY THEIR SUBJECTS INCLUDING TWO BY EVANS, two images with associated typed sheet listing the sitters mounted on the verso of preceding leaf. Original grey cloth by Raines & Co. of Ealing (extremities lightly rubbed).
Provenance: Edward Ratcliffe Garth Russell Evans, Lord Montevans (1881-1957.) gift to; Mr. & Mrs. Mullings; by descent.
A fine selection of prints from Scott's Last Expedition, once the property of Scott's deputy, the majority by Ponting. The titled images are as follows, all show light fading mostly to extremities.
1. The Terra Nova held up in the ice pack.
2. Evening in the Pack. Xmas Eve.
3. Capt. Oates and some of the ponies.
4. Group in Wardroom of Terra Nova.
5. Grotto in a berg. Terra Nova in distance. Taylor and Wright (Interior).
6. Capt. Scott, Wilson and Evans returning to ship across ice.
7. Mather and a sledge of ballast. SIGNED IN INK ON THE IMAGE BY MATHER.
8. The Terra Nova and a berg at ice-foot.
9. Getting camp in order. Erebus (and Colman's).
10. Left behind in Victoria Land.
11. Rennick and Drake making friendly advances to Adele penguins. SIGNED IN INK ON IMAGE BY RENNICK.
12. A corner of the Penguinery at Cape Royds.
13. Cloud effect at Cape Royds and berg.
14. Sastrugi on Barne Glacier.
15. Wave breaking at West Beach.
16. Erebus and dome cloud from West Beach. 2.30 p.m. Icicled glacier foreground.
17. Erebus from the West Beach. 5 p.m.
18. Spray ridges of ice. Cape Evans. Inaccessible Island in distance.
19. Capt. Scott.
20. Dr.Wilson working up a sketch.
21. Looking to Tent Island from one of caves. Capt. Scott and Wright.
22. Dr.Atkinson and Clissold taking in the fish trap. (40 below zero).
23. Capt.Scott's birthday party.
24. The Castle berg with dog sledge.
25. Under the lee of the Castle Berg.
26. The first warm sunny spring day (- 15F). Hut and Erebus.
27. The Point of the Barne Glacier (where it turns round to the Bay before Cape Barne).
28. The pressure ridges of the ice crack from the Barne Glacier to Inaccessible, looking to Cape Royds. (Capt. Scott).
29. Capt. Scott at the ice crack.
30. Curiously weathered (or sea-washed) berg in South Bay, with Erebus.
31. The face of the Matterhorn Berg. (Just after this Clissold fell).
32. Midnight sun effect on Mt. Discovery taken from 1 mile south of Razorback at 11 p.m.
33. Sitting penguin snowed up, only head showing.
34. Sitting penguin snowed up.
35. Church Berg and seals.
36. Seals lying by Church Berg.
37. Hut and W. Mts.
38. Heavy pancake ice (several feet thick in layers) in which ship was held up whilst trying to rescue Northern party.
39. Ice breaking up off Cape Evans.
40. Wake of the Terra Nova in new pancake ice.
41. H.G. Ponting and cinematograph.
42. Iceberg passed on voyage home.
43. Capt. Scott, Dr. Simpson, Lieut. Bowers and Evans leaving hut for the west. Going on to sea ice.
44. Lieut. Evans by the motor. SIGNED IN INK BENEATH THE IMAGE BY EVANS.
45. Capt. Scott and Lieut. Evans on Terra Nova. SIGNED IN INK BENEATH THE IMAGE BY EVANS.
46. Dr. Wilson, Lieut. Bowers, A. Cherry-Garrard and ponies on the sea ice.
47. F. Drake on the Terra Nova INSCRIBED IN INK BENEATH IMAGE BY DRAKE.
48. [Scott and three of the polar party on ski manhauling a sledge].
49. [Forstalled: Amundsen's tent at the South Pole].
50. [At the South Pole, 18 January, 1912: a posed group portrait of the polar party].
51. [Ferrying supplies on sledges pulled by ponies].
52. [The memorial Cross on Observation Hill, near Hut Point].
53. [The Cairn built by Atkinson and the search party on 12 November, 1912 at the last camp of Scott, Wilson and Bowers].
54. The deck of the Terra Nova.
55. Death of an iceberg.
56. Lieut. Bowers.