The figure was made for a building at the corner of the Vijzelstraat/Prinsengracht in Amsterdam in 1926-1928, designed by Amsterdam School architect J.M. van der Mey. When the building was torn down in 1962-1963, most of the architectural sculpture was lost. Some figures were saved and are now in the collection of the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam. A standing faun with a bird on his left hand (65 cm. high) is attached to Krop's house in Schoorl.
See E.J. Lagerweij-Polak, Hildo Krop beeldhouwer, Amsterdam, 1992, p. 114, no. B64 for a description of the sculptures at Vijzelstraat/Prinsengracht.
See Helen Boterenbrood, Jürgen Prang, Van der Mey en het Scheepvaarthuis, pp. 48-50, ill. 60 for a contemporary photograph of the building.