HUNTING -- Pedigree of Hounds, manuscript record of 'Mr Orlebar's Hounds, Hinwick Hall', in two hands, dated 1708-19, and February 1719/20 to December 1727, 23 pages, 8vo, paper wrappers, the upper cover inscribed 'Pedegree [sic] of Hounds' in brown ink, and numbered XXIX (paper label).
THE EARLIEST-KNOWN 'KENNEL BOOK' -- a remarkable survival from 18th-century hunting records. The manuscript comprises the pedigrees of foxhounds belonging to Richard Orlebar (1671-1733), from the kennel formed at Hinwick Hall, Bedfordshire, in 1702. The records date from 'whelps bread in the yeare 1708' to 1727; from 1718 onwards the records also show that Richard Orlebar, too old to continue hunting, gave couples of his hounds and bitches away to friends, who included the Duke of Grafton, the Duke of Halifax, and a gentleman, John Biggs. Amongst the hounds listed, which include the names 'Sweet Lips' and 'Squeaker', are Shifter (1719) and Tipler (1717), whose bloodline continued down to the modern-day Grafton Kennel and, it is claimed, to every kennel in England (by way of Ringwood (1741), bred at the Charlton Hunt, and given to the Brocklesby kennel; see Earl Bathurst, 'The Charlton and Raby Hunts', Second Supplement to the Foxhound Kennel Stud Book, London: Constable & Co Ltd, [n.y.]).