IMPORTANT ANTIQUE RUBY AND DIAMOND PIN
Set with a cushion-cut ruby weighing approximately 14.41 cts., within an old European-cut diamond frame, mounted in platinum and gold
Signed by Tiffany & Co.
With certificate 9204109 from the Gemmological Laboratory Gubelin stating that the ruby is of Burmese origin
George Frederick Kunz joined Tiffany & Co. in 1879 and forever changed the course of American jewelry. His insistance on only the finest gemstones, accumulated from his many travels abroad, quickly elevated Tiffany's to the forefront of jewelry design, rivaling the great French houses. Normally, large gemstones are mounted in important pieces of jewelry but the superb ruby of this brooch is set into an understated diamond mount that is platinum topped with a gold back, typical of the firm's first usage of platinum, beginning in the mid 1890s. The unusual mark, "Tiffany" on one line and "& Co." on the next, is also indicative of its early dating. The firm used this mark for about thirty years, from the 1870s through the 1890s.