H.M.S. Marlborough, 25,000 tons, was laid down at Devonport in January 1912 and completed in June 1914. Heavily armed and capable of steaming at over 20 knots, she and her sister ships of the "Iron Duke" class were the last coal-burning battleships built for the Royal Navy and, when scrapped, brought to an end the old 'stoking' era begun by H.M.S. Warrior in 1860. Marlborough entered the Grand Fleet as 2nd Flagship and was in action at Jutland where she was torpedoed [fired, it was believed, from the German light cruiser Wiesbaden] and obliged to withdraw from the battle. Repaired on the Tyne, she quickly returned to active service but even after a major refit in 1920-21, she fell victim to the general disarmament malaise and was eventually sold for breaking in 1932.