A similar composition by van Nickelen with the staffage by Dirck Maas was sold at Christie's, London, 13 March 1987, lot 92.
The Waag, or weigh-house, is the only building in the present composition that has not survived to this day. Constructed between 1560 and 1565, it was built of blue freestone. Seven scales hanging inside the outer doors were in use with a smaller one inside the building for fine and expensive merchandise. It was demolished in 1808 on the instructions of King Louis, who wished to clear the view from the Town Hall.